Changes to Google Voice Activated Calling
From 26 September 2023, Google Voice Activated Calling will no longer be supported by Google. We'll disable it for customers from 15 September 2023.
No Google Home or Google Nest devices will support Google Voice Activated Calling. This includes:
- Speakers: Google Home, Google Nest Mini (2nd gen), Google Home Mini (1st gen), Google Home Max, Google Nest Audio, Google Nest Wifi point.
- Displays: Google Nest Hub and Google Nest Hub Max.
Frequently asked questions:
1. Why is the Google Voice Activated Calling feature no longer available?
From time-to-time Google and their partners may add or remove features. At this time, it has been determined that Google will remove the ability to make and receive calls through all phone service partners. Therefore, Telstra is no longer able to offer this feature.
2. How do I enable or disable voice-activated calling before 15 September?
We removed the ability to enable this feature after 29 May 2023. Anyone who signed up before then can keep using it until 15 September 2023.
You can disable it any time through the Call Providers settings in your Google Home app. From there, select Unlink under your Telstra mobile number.
3. How else can I make calls from my Google Home or Nest?
Google Home and Nest devices still support the ability to make calls through services like Google Meet.
4. Will emergency calling (000) still work once voice-activated calling is removed?
No. You won’t be able to call 000 from your Google Home or Nest device once this feature is removed.
5. Do I need to do anything once Google Voice Activated Calling is removed?
No. Voice-activated calling will continue to work until 15 September 2023. It will then be removed automatically and links between Google and Telstra will be deleted securely.
6. Will there be any notification on my Google Nest device when voice-activated calling is removed?
No. Your Google Home or Nest device won’t provide a notification when the feature is no longer active.
7. Will I be charged for using Google Voice Activated Calling?
No. It was free to set up and calls are made at no additional cost on the existing mobile plan of eligible Telstra mobile customers.